The Croham Hurst Golf Club company was formed in 1911
The Croham Hurst Golf Club company was formed in 1911 after a small group of local businessmen, which included a solicitor and an accountant, got together and decided there was a need for an amenable "golf club for gentlemen" in the countryside yet near Croydon and also handy for London. After mature reflection this was amended to include ladies as well.
A lease was negotiated with the owners, the Whitgift Foundation, and two courses, a 9 holes and a full 18, were constructed from old agriculture land. The courses were designed and built by the Scottish professional James Braid and by Frederick Hawtree who had just started his company as a golf club architect. The 9 hole course was quickly abandoned after the main and present 18 hole course was opened in October 1913.
Initial rates for visitors were half a crown (13p) for Sundays. A deputation from local clergy and churchmen was assured that golfers would "treat the Sabbath with due deference and conduct themselves accordingly".
Croham Hurst has been played by several leading professionals. The Club pro for six years during the 1950s was Harry Weetman, the Ryder Cup star. Peter Alliss describes the course as "a good members' course, pleasant but testing". Dai Rees first played there in 1951 and said he was "surprised by the hidden difficulties". On a recent visit Colin Montgomerie described it as "one of the nicest courses in the south east".
Braid and Hawtree were at pains to ensure the undulating nature of the course should reflect the beauty and appeal of the north Surrey countryside as it then was. Subsequent development of the district has not detracted from its semi rural feel and there are some fine views, particularly from the 10th tee.